Sunday, November 14, 2010

Happiness: What is it to you?

Every Tuesday night at seven o’clock, I go into my basement and turn on the CW to watch One Tree Hill, a favorite television program of mine. I like watching this show because it’s full of drama, both good and bad, and it lets me escape to an alternate world for an hour. Usually, once it’s over I go back upstairs into reality to finish my homework and head to bed. However, this past Tuesday I was left with a quote in my head that has been stuck there until now. One of the characters, Julian, said to his fiancé,

“I feel like people get lost when they think of happiness as a destination. We’re always thinking someday we’ll be happy, that we’ll get that job or that car or that person in our lives that will fix everything. But happiness is a mood. And it’s a condition, not a destination. It’s like being tired or hungry. It’s not permanent. It comes and goes, and that’s okay. And I feel that if people thought of it that way they’d find happiness a lot more often.”


This quote really stood out to me because it’s something that I had never really thought about before. But, once I started thinking about it, I realized that the way that you view something as seemingly simply as happiness can largely affect your identity.

Something in the Distance

People who view happiness as a destination are often very ambitious because they are trying to accomplish some far off goal that will ultimately bring them happiness. However, this ambition often overshadows the small victories that this person makes along the way, depriving them of the little joys in life. These people are usually in a rush to get certain “unpleasant” aspects of their lives over with, but they forget to stop and be thankful for every moment of their time on Earth.

Going With the Flow
People who view happiness as a condition or mood are usually more easygoing and have an easier time accepting change or hard times because they know that they will find happiness again. These people are good at finding the silver lining in situations that may seem hopeless. Often times, viewing happiness as a condition rather than a destination allows for the enjoyment of every day, rather than wishing to pass over precious time just because you are waiting for something great to happen.

Where Am I?

I don’t believe that there are many people in the world that strictly fit into one category or the other. We all have our moments when we forget to enjoy the time we have because we are looking forward to something else. There is nothing wrong with being ambitious; you just need to remember not to let the road to accomplishing a goal get in the way of noticing the other great things that happen to you along the way. Viewing happiness as a condition isn’t an extremely difficult thing to do if you consciously try. My challenge for you this week is to be aware of the way you view happiness, and try to think of it as a condition that comes and goes, not something to strive for someday. In the words of Julian, if you can do this, you will “find happiness a lot more often.”

If you still find yourself struggling to be happy, check out this blog post by Gretchen Rubin about 10 Common Happiness Mistakes.


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED THIS POST!!!! First of all, as always, our blogs are incredibly similar so I love hearing your perspective and where you find identity issues. As you know, One Tree Hill is also one of my favorite TV shows. When I watched last week's episode Julian's quote really stuck with me as well -- I think there's a lot to it. I also think you did a really nice job of categorizing and organizing your blog. I think it's great that you recognize the gray area and that you challenge your readers. The style of your blog is enticing and riveting to read! Lastly, you picked a killer song to finish off with. That song warms my heart and always puts a smile on my face :) Well done!!

    

Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was absolutely amazing! The song is one of my favorites and I was so excited to see that you had used it! I agree that happiness is often viewed as something that we will achieve later in life. We need to take the time and look around, take a deep breath, and see the beauty that surrounds us. We need to start appreciating the little things, like flowers or a smile from a stranger, and stop associating happiness with cars or a new ipod. I definitely had that moment when my life switched and I realized how to truly be happy. Just like you talked about, I have set backs, but in general my life has a much happier tone. You wrote beautifully about this topic and I really like the way you separated the post into sections. This was a really thoughtful post Alli! Nice Job :)

    Leah <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great content as always Alli, but just one more thing that I would like to add is this. People always talk about how "this made me happy" or "this person makes me happy," but this is not actually very true. You see, happiness is self activated, no one can actually make you happy, sure they can help, but no one can truely make you happy. Happiness is only achieved when you want to be happy. Why do you think people can sit through say something like the olympics, one of the greatest things on earth, and still be unhappy? Its because happiness is something that a person has to want. Happiness isnt just something that overcomes us, we have to want it to overcome us. It is not a phenomenon that occurs randomly or with some help; happiness is aquired only when a person sets their mind to it. It is just as easy to be with the person you love and to not be happy as it is to actually be happy, its all up to the person themselves. Other than that i completely agree with what you said above. People that set their sights in the distance tend to miss all those little moments that make like worth living for. People lose sight of these as our society deems only large achievements and goals as suitable for people. Its those times where you take a moment to stop and realize all those little things that you really realize what life is about. As for the people that go with the flow, I agree here too. These are your more easy going people that are easy to get along with and will find those daily snippets that remind them why they are who they are and why they do what they do. On the topic of where I personally belong, I concur with you again. No one truely fits into a catagory just for the simple reason that it is impossible to. We all look down the road about alot of things and get really excited for them, but they key is to just not look down the road to far or, as you said, you'll miss those little moments thats pass you by. To me, happiness is a gift, a gift you give to yourself and we all deserve it, no matter what.

    -Mark

    p.s. sorry for any gramatical errors or spelling errors =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I already commented on this but just wanted to let you know I really loved the formatting and it inspired my latest blog post, Secret. Thanks buddy!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete